10 December 2008

Prop 8 Redux

To me, the Gay Marriage issue is as relevant as regulations for left-handed fishing licenses; I'm right handed and I don't fish. I did however, spend almost 20 years in San Francisco, during which time I was able to discard my standard northeastern homophobia, conclude that I am an unadulterated heterosexual, and cultivate numerous close friendships and business relationships with LGBT folks of every stripe.

Accordingly, as a general rule, I am quite supportive of LGBT initiatives, but I am often loath to endorse the tactics employed in the service of these eminently reasonable objectives. The impracticality and the obnoxiousness of the in-your-face, "we're here, we're queer--get used to it" mentality always struck me as a profoundly counterproductive means by which to persuade folks who are "on the fence" to the other side of the fence.

But to address this issue is a dicey matter, like opposing Zionism or criticizing black people, or feminism, or religious dogma. These proprietary issues don't loan themselves to open discussion--especially with folks outside the community.

Well then... Today, I happened across a certified Gay and a certified Lesbian interpretation of my opinion. So if you don't like my attitude, take it up with Camile Paglia, who says:

"After California voters adopted Proposition 8 ... gay activists have launched a program of open confrontation with and intimidation of religious believers, mainly Mormons. I thought we'd gotten over the adolescent tantrum phase of gay activism ... Want to cause a nice long backlash to gay rights? That's the way to do it."

and Mark Simpson, who concurs:

"Perhaps the lesson of Proposition 8 is not that most straight people think gay people should sit at the back of the bus, but that if you take on religion and tradition on its hallowed turf - and that is what marriage effectively is - you’re highly likely to lose. Even in liberal California."

No comments: